Samosa is a famous vegan snack which you find in every party, office meetings, on streets with chai. Samosa is not a quick recipe but a multi step process which can be made at home. Samosa’s can be made with jaggery which is called sweet samosa. Any ways let’s see the way of making samosa’s the traditional way with potato filling!
- 2 boiled and mashed potatoes
- 1 cup of boiled peas
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup ginger and garlic paste
- salt, 3 tbsp oil
- 1tbsp garam masala
- 1tbsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric
- 1tbsp cumin seeds
- 2tbsp squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- grated carrot (optional)
- Oil for deep fry
- Start by making samosa dough. Take a bowl add the flour, salt, oil.
- Mix it well so that oil should be incorporated well to the flour. Now add water to make a dough which should not be soft knead.
- The dough should be stiff which should form a shape. Keep aside for over 20-30 mins by covering a moist cloth.
- To prepare the filling, take a pan add oil, cumin seeds,ginger garlic paste to stir for few mins.
- Add onions, turmeric saute for 2 mins. Add salt, potatoes, peas, garam masala powder, red chili powder. Stir fry for 5 mins.
- Off the flame. Let it cool down by adding lemon juice and coriander.
- Roll a medium size thick roti from the dough. Cover the remaining dough to avoid drying.
- Cut into two parts in the middle. Try to make a cone shape to fill the stuff and gently press all the sides by applying water on the straight edges. Make remaining samosas in the same procedure.
- Take deep frying pan. Add oil in a low flame. Check if the oil is boiled by adding a small piece of dough, it will take a few seconds to roll on to the oil surface. The oil is ready in this case.
- Fry 4-5 samosas on low flame for about 15 mins. Increase the flame to medium and fry for another 4-5 mins. The texture should be golden brown.
- Make sure to turn the flame to low and add another batch of samosa’s. Repeat the procedure for frying all the samosas.
- Serve the samosa with chutney or tomato sauce.
- You can bake the samosa by brushing with oil over the samosa surface. Then, bake for 30-40 min at 350 F.
- If you have left over samosa, use them for samosa chaat, sandwich or store them in air tight container in refrigerator. Bake them for 5 mins in a preheated oven at 350 F.
- For samosas to be CRISPY, don’t fry in hot oil. The flame should be low. Also, the dough should be stiff, not soft.
Calories: 164 Fats: 7g Protein: 4g Carbs: 44g