Rajma is a favorite Indian recipe which ever color it is, from the pink or maroon red colored beans. The red kidney bean kebabs are vegan and also gluten free rather than the traditional meat kebabs. These rajma kebabs have a firm texture and doesn’t melt in the mouth like other vegan kebabs. They rather make a nice snack for kids or can feature in your starter or appetizer menu for parties. These can be served with mint or coriander chutney. Red kidney beans kebab can be made in two ways- baked or shallow fried.
- 1 cup kidney beans( cooked and mashed)
- 1 medium potato boiled and mashed
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 1 tbsp chili paste
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp garm masala
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt as per taste
- oil for fry
- Take a skillet and heat a tbsp of oil. Add onions, ginger and garlic paste, turmeric, chili paste. Stir it until golden brown. Off the flame.
- Take a bowl add the saute mixture, mashed potato, red beans, garm masala, mint leaves and oats. Add lemon and salt accordingly. Mix the ingredients together.
- Make the small balls of medium size from the mixture. Flatten them with hand like patties.
- Keep them in refrigerator for 20-30 mins as this sets the kebab shape and they won’t break while frying.
- Take a skillet, sprinkle the oil over it. Cook the kebab on a medium flame, when the underside or base of the kebab becomes golden, flip and fry the other side.
- Fry the rajma kababs until they are evenly cooked, golden brown and crisp texture.
- Serve hot with chutney.
- The kebabs can be grilled in a oven. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Take a baking tray and grease it with oil. Brush the top portion of each patties with little oil to avoid drying out. This gives crispiness to the kebab.
- Bake the kebab for 10 min, till they turned out golden brown the underside or base. Carefully flip them and bake again for another 8 – 10 mins. Adjust the time of oven accordingly.
- You can replace oats with bread crumbs.
- Instead of potato for rich fiber you can add sweet potato, based on the choice of taste.
- You can also add spinach leaves instead.
- Avoid refrigerating and can be shallow fried instantly.