Famously called sorakaya perugu pulusu (bottle gourd), this recipe is made in every home in Southern India. Though sorakaya perugu pulusu recipe is from my ancestral house, my mother makes it in her own way. Bottle gourd is widely used in different styles, though it brings taste when curd is added. Instead of sorakaya, you can use okra, potatoes, sweet potatoes or drumsticks to make perugu pulusu.
- 1 cup chopped bottle gourd
- 1 cup curd
- 1/2 chopped medium onion
- 2 chopped green chili
- 1/2 tbsp ginger paste
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp black gram
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 3 red chili flakes
- salt as per taste
- 1/4 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- Add half a cup of water to the cubed bottle gourd with 1/2 tbsp salt and cook till they are half-cooked, make sure they are crunchy. Strain and cool.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat the curd well adding little bit by bit water to form a smooth consistency. You can avoid this and directly use curd.
- Add to the curd onions, boiled bottle gourd, turmeric powder and coriander leaves with salt. Mix them well.
- In a skillet heat oil, add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, black gram, ginger, curry leaves, green and red chili flakes. Toss them and add the tempering to the curd.
- Cover it with a lid for a few mins. Serve with brown rice.