French fries are favourite from adults to toddlers. Who doesn’t love crispy French fries? These homemade crispy french fries are perfect in taste with the required crispness outside, and smooth and soft from inside.
To get the perfect taste of McDonalds or any other restaurants, you need to fry them twice. You can fry them once if you want, but they will be less crispy.
- 3 medium sized potato or 1 extra-large potato
- Oil for deep frying
To make spice mix:
- 1/2 tbsp Chilli powder
- ½ tbsp salt
- ½ garlic powder
- Dried herbs or rose Mary
- Rinse the medium (3 potatoes ) or 1 extra-large potato well then peel off the potatoes.
- Cut them into thick slices of 1cm each. You can French fry cutter if you have it.
- Put them in a bowl of water and let it rest for 30 min. If the climate is hot and humid, store it in refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce mix for the fries.
- In a bowl, mix red chilli powder, salt, garlic powder and rose Mary. Keep it aside.
- After 30 min wash the potatoes for a couple of times to get rid of starch. Pat and dry the potato slices on a clean cloth (cotton mostly).
- Heat some oil for deep frying on a low flame.
- Slowly drop the potatoes into the oil and fry for about 10 mins. Don’t over crowd the potatoes. Fry in two or three batches.
- Fry till the potatoes get cooked, but they should not brown from outside. Take the potatoes from the oil to cool them at room temperature.
- Meanwhile add the second batch of slices and deep fry them. By the time you fry the second batch of the potatoes, the first batch will cool down. So in the same oil, you can fry the first batch of half fried potatoes.
- After the potatoes have come to room temperature, heat oil in medium-high or high flame an fry the potatoes for about 2-3 mins. Repeat the same for second batch.
- Place French fries on paper tissues to remove the extra oil. Take a bowl to place potato fries, add the sauce mix and toss them together.
- Serve them with or without ketchup. Enjoy the homemade crispy french fries.
- Choose the right potato: Russet or Idaho potatoes (high-starch) will make the best homemade crispy french fries.
- However, yellow or golden color potato can be used. Low-starch potatoes, such as red or white or new potatoes, are the least preferable.
- The potatoes are immersed in cold water for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Usually, you can immerse the whole bowl of chopped potatoes with cold water in the fridge.
- Then drain & pat dry the potatoes with a napkin.
If you like this, don’t forget to check out our other recipes.