Usually, condensed milk is used a lot in baking. The sweetened condensed milk can be easily made at home with two ingredients only. Condensed milk is traditionally made from cow milk that has much of water content boiled away and then the sugar is added to it. However, the condensed milk can be done dairy free by using coconut milk, which is same in the taste as the dairy condensed milk.
- 2 cups full fat milk
- 1 cup sugar
- a pinch of baking soda
- Take a pan in high flame to boil milk and sugar .
- Keep stirring continuously until the milk reduced to half of the original quantity. It should be thickened, then add baking soda.
- Cook continuously on a low flame until the milk mixture is thickened in a creamy color or till 10 minutes.
- If there are sugary bits hanging around the rim of your pot don’t stir them into your condensed milk, this can also crack your mix.
- Turn off the stove and cool it for 10 minutes. Note that the mixture thickens up after 6 hours.
- Store in a air tight jar in a refrigerator up to 6 months.